• You have dark under-eye circles - You might've lost out on some sleep or your skin might be trying to tell you something! Dark, puffy eyes can mean a few things, but 9 times out of 10 it’s due to the skin around your eyes being dehydrated. To remedy those under-eye bags, get your hands on an eye cream and start using it morning and night. Eye creams will hydrate and tighten the skin, de-puffing those bags.
• Cracked or peeling lips - Good luck sealing any deals with those things! During winter your lips are exposed to dry, cold air well before anything else, especially if you’re hitting the slops. Plus, regardless of season, your saliva can dry out the skin, leading to splitting.
All year round we recommend getting yourself a good SPF lip balm. Our go-to is Coola’s Liplux Organic Lip Balm Sunscreen SPF30. This all-in-one lip treatment moisturises and protects with a vitamin and antioxidant-enriched formula to soothe and nourish. RRP $20, 4.2g.
• Dry cracked hands - Nothing kills a first impression like a scaly handshake. Whether you’re working out or on the tools, hands get rough and cracked quite easily, especially in winter. Every time you wash them or use hand sanitiser (which is a lot thanks to COVID-19) they get a little more dried out too. Your best solution is to apply a high-quality hand crème daily. We recommend every night before bed and every morning before you leave the house.
Keep Pure Fiji’s Nourishing Hand Crème beside your bed, we love the coconut! RRP$15, 35ml
• Dull, flaky skin - Does your skin have an overall dull and tired appearance? Dehydration affects your skin’s ability to perform essential functions, like cell turnover. Without adequate hydration, your skin does not shed its outer layer frequently enough, and dead cells accumulate on its surface. This contributes to clogged pores, congestion and a lacklustre complexion.
The best fix for this is a facial. At About Man in our Ponsonby clinic, The Cut and Polish Facial will have your skin clean and polished in no time. This treatment includes a clinical skin peel or microdermabrasion to soften skin, extractions to clear congestion and a decent dose of chill time. You’ll walk out feeling your best and your skin will have a cut and polished look. Allow 60 minutes. RRP $190.
• You get razor burn after shaving - If your skin breaks out after a shave, then you could be doing a couple of things wrong. There are multiple steps to the shaving process, but for starters, you need a clean, sharp razor, one that hasn’t been collecting bacteria from not been cleaned and that won’t drag across the skin. Secondly, you need to properly prepare the skin with hot water and skin-softening oil or cream. The fresh blade will give you a clean, smooth shave, but don’t use the blade more than three or four times, or for more than a couple of weeks, depending on how often you shave.
Post-shave is the most important time to be taking care of your skin to minimize irritation and ingrown hair. We recommend using a small amount of Prologic’s Omega 3 Treatment Oil, after every shave. This miracle oil is great for a multitude of skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, acne and general ageing. Containing pure NZ Kiwi Seed Oil it will leave your skin protected and nourished. RRP $85, 30ml.
Streamline your skincare this winter! Now is the perfect time to get expert advice on what skincare you should be using, how to use it and which treatments will give you the results you’re after.